ANNUAL REPORT 2015-2016
Distinguished Chief guest, Mr. Yenepoya Abdulla Kunhi, Chancellor, Yenepoya University, Alumnus of this Institution, Rev. Fr. Denzil Lobo S.J, Rector, St. Aloysius Institutions, who is presiding over today’s function, well wishers of this Institution, our proud parents, respected members of the teaching and non-teaching fraternity, ladies and gentlemen, media persons and my dear students, it is my privilege to present the 135th Annual report of this historic educational Institution.
With 720 students, the month of June saw the students’ council election for the year 2015–2016 where in, Master Anoop Bevan D’ Cunha was elected as SPL, Master Sushan K Attavar as ASPL and Master Eshwar P Shetty as Secretary along with the class and club representatives , they form the students’ council. Every week the school assembly is convened to accolade our achievers and to provide a platform for our students in public speaking.
At the April 2015 S.S.L.C. examination 92.10% students came out successful.
The toppers were Master Jelwin Rodrigues with 616, 98.56% of the English Medium and Master Adarsh H.K. of Kannada Medium with 588, 94.08%. At the Diocesan Catechism Examination, Master Savin Leroy D’Souza excelled in English and Master Gladson D‘Cunha in Konkani. In the Moral Science Examination, while Master Adarsh H.K topped in Kannada medium, Master Tushar Kasturi topped the English Medium.
We appreciate the sincere efforts of the students, the hard work of our teachers and the constant support of the parents.
The new additions to the staff this academic year are:-
- Mrs. Bhuvaneshwari N.P Biology -CBZ
- Joyal Prashanth Vas Supporting Staff and Assistant to the New
Smt. Malathi Bhat retired after serving for 30 years and 3 months of her life in this school as a Sanskrit and Kannada teacher.
I wish to place on record our gratitude to the long service she rendered to this Institution.
- Mrs Renny Vas had participated in Hindi S.T.F training program.
- The Participants of ‘Rachana-3’ training program conducted by the district education and training institution Kodialbail, are Mrs Renny Vas, Mr Donald Saldanha, Mr Praveen Cutinho, Mr Camil Rebello, Mr Norbert Miranda.
- Mr Francis Mascarenhas has not only received Rachana – 3 training but is also qualified to be a resource person.
- Mrs. Felcy Pinto writes articles and poems for various Konkani periodicals. She has recited poetry at, Rani Abbakka Utsav , and Konkani Sahitya Academy ,also participated in the multi-lingual poetry session held at Govt College. Her talks have been broadcasted in Akashavani Mangaluru. She was one of the participants at the ‘Konkani Matha Literary Fest’ held in Udupi on 29th November 2015. Her short poems were published & released in a book called “Paklyo” by Carmelite Fathers – Bikarnakatta – Mangaluru.]
- Mrs Diana Goveas gave a talk on “The role played by Teacher – student for the growth of the society” which was broadcasted by Akashavani Mangalore on November 12, 2015.
- Mrs Sheryl Rodrigues participated in a CSIR Faculty training and motivation programme for science teachers at the National Institution of Oceanography, Dona Paula, Goa. She was awarded as the best participant and secured the 2nd place in the quiz competition held there.
- Mr. John Chandran has completed his master in Fine Art from the Mysore University. He was also felicitated by Kannada Sahithya Parishath on their Centenary celebration for his achievements in the Art field. In the “Radio Class Room” broadcasted by Akashavani Mangaluru. Mr. John Chandran was interviewed by Mahesh K and Ankitha on the subject Art and Painting.
- Mr. Noel Menezes, Mr. John Chandran & Mrs Chris Evert D’Souza along with the Headmaster attended a seminar on “Jesuit Legacy & New Education Policy of India” at Bangalore conducted by Jesuit Educational Association of South Asia
- Mr. Gopal S. was the resource person at the “Maths Adhalath” programme conducted by BRC, Mangaluru. He has participated in the Maths & Science teachers’ refreshing course, conducted by Govt. B.Ed. college.
SPORTS & GAMES
Our students not only excel academically, but also on the field. We at St. Aloysius believe in an all round personality development. Along with the fitness of the mind, the fitness of the body is also put to the test.
Mr. Praveen Lobo and Mr. Noel Menezes are the guiding force behind the physical fitness of our students, also in their individual and group achievement.
- 1. Athletics
- Ethan Roche, Anish Crasta, Able Joseph are our 4×100 mts relay runners with a silver.
- Listen Saldanha and Able Joseph are our taluk level high jumpers with a gold.
- Able Joseph is a taluk level thrower of shotput with a gold.
- Ovin D’Souza, Reynard Lobo are the state level 4×100 meters relay runners with a gold. Sherwin Fernandes is a winner at hurdles with a bronze. Shawn Lobo is thrower of javelin at the taluk level with a silver. Gagan is thrower of shot put at cluster and hammer at the taluk with a gold.
- Rohan D. Kumar and Shravan Ullal are the special achievers in Athletics who are honoured today.
- 2. Badminton
- Abhay Pai, Mayank Bangera , Gagan, Snehal, Aaron Dantis are the state level participants.
- Abhay Pai, Mayank Bangera , Gagan were the division level players held at gundlapet , chickmagaluru.
- Rithvik Nayak is a division level player.
- 3. Basket ball
Sushaan, Ritesh , Mokshith, Ryan , Ricky , Rohan S, Advaith, Shaun, Shailen, Kishan , Aman were the divisional level participants at Mandya.
- Rathvik Nayak, Shreyas, Simon were a part of higher primary team.
- 4. FootBall:-
Prathik D P , Jovin , Yashwin ,Ovin ,Reynard ,Shawn, Rolan,Aman,Melroy, Vishal
Kieth, Nathan,Shafeeq, Darrel and Caleb are the taluk winners.
- 5. Handball
Sushaan , Sathwik M.K, Shawn lobo,Joyal,Tushar, Shreyas,Sairam, Jostol
Rion , Shravan Ullal,Joris, Ovin, Parikshith, Abhishek were the district level winners and divisional level participants held at Chickmagalure.
- 6. Karate:-.
- Aster, Nachiketh, Likhith are the cluster level participants whereas Rishel and Shreyas have won silver in the kumite at the cluster level.
- Nachiketh is a special achiever in Karate who is honoured today.
7. Table Tennis
The district level winners and the state level participants at Bidar are:-
- Melroy ,Hadin and Anuragh M.H
- Ratvik Nayak and Simon john were a part of the higher primary school team and participated at state level held at Bidar.
- 8. VolleyBall: Represented in the taluk level.
- Sharwin , Parikshith , Deon , Shreyas , Prithvi , Nachiketh , Wilston, Nishmith, Darshan, Ratan and Aaron Rodrigues.
- 9. Yoga:
- Pavan , Jithesh , Nachiketh , Aditya , Durga Prasad , Rahul , Daregowda are our taluk level participants.
- Pavan and Aditya participated at the district level.
- 10. Chess:-
- Manohar , Mrinal , Vernon , Siddarth ,Divya , Swathi ,Nikitha , Abel , Riyon , Varun , are our taluk level participants.
- Mrinal has participated at the district level.
- 11. Cricket:-
- Sathwik P.S,Vijeth Ullal , Tushar Bangera, Niel Corda, Prathik D.P,
Glanel ,Rishik ,Kirsten , Amit joyal , Chiranth , Abhishek , Ankith shetty
Siddarth , Dhyan , Sathwik M.K and Raheel kottari are our participants of the KSCA tournament.
Tushar bangera was selected for zonals at Bangalore.
- 12. Kho Kho:-
- Kiran , Rahul Suvarna , Rakshith , Chidesh, Kaushik, Deekshith , Ritheesh T. , Karthik ,
Laizil Cutinha,Sudarshan , Prajwal represented at the taluk level.
- 13. Kabaddi:-
- Sairam R. Poojary , Sagar Kajagar , Sangappa , Jonathan, Glenal Quadros
Rahul Sanadi , Kiran , Joyal Monthiero , Shreyas M. , Sharwin Fernandes were the participants at the cluster level.
- 14. Swimming
- Bennet has participated in the district level.
- Bhushith has Participated in the district level SGFI and is a winner in the 50 mts and 200 mts butterfly,100 mts back stroke , with gold and silver medals.Participated at the state level held at Bangalore.
- Parikshith is the silver medalist at the SGFI district level in 50mts and 200mts backstroke, silver in 4×100 medlay relay and 4×100 free style relay. He has participated in the SGFI state level held at Bangalore.
- Manohar Prabhu and Nishwin S. Lobo are the special achievers of Swimming who are honoured today.
NCC Air Wing Troop No: – 56
At the 10 day annual training camp at Moodbidri, Mijar, in July our school won the best drill trophy, best kit layout and Sergeant Sushaan K. Attavar was the best cadet in the 0.22 rifle firing, and cadet Roopith was the best cross country racer. The troop of our junior division boys has participated in the Independence Day parade and International Yoga Day Programme too. World heart Day was organized and a rally was taken out around the towns.
Athik D B and Roopith D’souza participated in the Republic day camp. and have completed: IGC-I IGC-II IGC-III And the latter was selected for the PRE-RDC at Bangalore. For the first time we have a junior wings girls in our school. Mr. Sunil Lobo the commissioned officer is the guiding force behind our NCC troop.
Skills of survival in times of emergency is what scouting is all about. ‘Be prepared’ is its motto. Mr G.K Bhat and Mrs Chris Evert are the guiding force. This year we are happy to announce that Master Varun Rai was awarded “Rajya Puraskar”.
Experiments, Demonstration, Debates and Model Making are encouraged by the science academy. Independence day science model competition made way for the taluk level science model competition conducted by the department. Anush and Adish Yermal in the disaster management and Bhavith Kumar and Navya in industry category respectively bagged the 1st place and K.R Anush and Mohammed Thameem bagged the 2nd place in the agriculture category. The science academy is guided by Mr Donald Saldanha.
Dramatic talent is brought out and refined by Mr Norbert Miranda who put up a skit, “Sangha Sahavasa Kalikege Vanavasa” for the club inaugural and “Ahankarada Anthya” on the occasion of St Aloysius Gonzaga Feast.
Kannada Sahitya Sangha
Gaining skills in extempore, pick and speak, debate and handwriting is the hallmark of the club. Conducted Gandhi Jayanthi celebration. Participated in the Kannada Rajyotsava function at Nehru maidan and Alva’s Vidhyanthi Siri. The club members are guided by Mr Praveen Monteiro.
One day Leadership camp was organized at “Loyala House”, focus was on deep sense of spirituality. Novena prayer on the eve of St. Aloysius Gonzaga, St. Ignatius of Loyala & feast of Nativity of our Lady were conducted. St. John Berkmans is their role model. His feast was celebrated with a talk on his life and qualities by Fr. Edward Rodrigues S.J. our Headmaster. They were guided by Mr. Praveen Cutinho.
Under the able guidance, Mrs Felcy Pinto and the strong support of the Rotary Club, Mangaluru, Mid Town. Members participated in the International Yoga Day at Bharat Mall. The President with some members attended the district Governor’s meet at Eden club. It conducted a career Guidance Programme to streamline the students of 10th std as per their strengths.
The philately club members of St. Aloysius High School on the fourth of July went to view a coin exhibition at the house of the founding father late Khan Bahadur Haji Abdulla Kasim Saheb Bahadur which was the place where the first corporation bank was started. Currencies used in different parts of the world before money like Cowry Shells and Ratti seeds in the Barter System and the history of coins currencies and the banking sector was imparted by Mr. Kishnaya the curator of the museum.
Art is the expression of the soul. Expressing painting through traditional style, Rangoli, Glass Painting and Face Painting in their forte. The student artists namely Anvith Badikana, Greeshal, Sarwin Chandran, Neil Corda, Deon Pinto, Gaurav Dev, Nishan S., have brought many accolades to the school, having participated in various competitions. Swathi Shenoy and Divya Furtardo won cash prize of Rs.10, 000 in the collage competition held by Vikas College. Gaurav Dev is a special achiever of the Art Club who is honoured today. The man behind the students is Mr John Chandran.
L.T.S.(Leadership Training Service)
Fr. John Rogers, the L.T.S. promoter of South Asia initiated the L.T.S. Unit of St. Aloysius High School which was started on 13th August 2015 with Mr. Santhosh Lobo as the animator. The student council are also the members of the LTS. They initiate parliament proceeding and look into the disciplinary matters of the school. The teachers day was also celebrated by them. The members visited a slum at Panchanady to be made sensitive towards the marginally poor. Seven L.T.Sers were selected for a national LTS conclave that was held at Delhi in the month of November 2015.
Mrs. Shalma Saldanha & Mrs. Bhuvaneshwari inculcate a sense of love towards mother nature. Through the co-ordination of Lion’s Club Nethravathi Mangalore a number of saplings were planted. The enthusiastic members organized “Kanasu Swaccha Mangaluru” an environment cleaning drive.
The great orators of the school who compere during Patron’s day, sports day, annual day celebrations and many other events. Eshwar Shetty, Swathi Shenoy, Nishel Almeida and Sheldon Tauro participated in several activities outside school, on the birth anniversary of Narayana Guru at Gokarnatheshwara college and cluster level Prathibha Karanji have won them many awards. They are moulded by Mr Lancy D’Souza.
The district Consumer association has provided a booklet related to consumer awareness. This is imparted to its members and a collage and essay competition was conducted to implement this knowledge. In the science laboratory, several adulteration tests were conducted. This club is guided by Mr Francis Mascharenhas
This club provides a platform to tickle the intellect and stimulate the brain. These quiz kids Hadin and Neil. Vishal , Sheldon & Sherwin were in their element at Prathibha Karanji, ForSees and many other competition. These students are directed by Mrs. Jovita D’souza
The club members demonstrated various topics like Raspberry- Pie, Windows 10, gaming etc…. Sarwin Deon Chandran was selected for a 10 day web designing training by Infosys – Spark (Catch Them Young) . P.A College of Engineering organized an animation competition using the Software-SCRATCH. Vaman Kamath and Shanwill Pinto bagged 2nd place. Our school won the overall championship. Shanwill Pinto, Ankith Shetty and Joswin Pinto won 1st place in the inter school IT Quiz competition conducted by nGURU NIIT. These students are motivated by Mrs . Linet Mathias and Mrs. Sunitha Pais.
The melodious voices along with soothing music is the strength of our vocalist. Viheth Ullal, Nihal Dias, Anston Rodrigues, Elton, Sushan, Shubam, Riyan Soans, Davin and Prasad in the solo and group singing were the prize winners at Geetanjali, Madhusudhan Kushe and Forsee. Vijeth Ullal is a special achiever of the Choir Club who is honoured today.
Be it Percussion instruments, wind, reed and many others are played by 28 members, for the annual days, sports days and for the various events in the units of St Aloysius Institutions. This year they have also ventured out on a couple of occasions to perform for various events of other institutions. The alumni also join the band club to add more vigor especially on the wind instrument. This year the band group plans to visit orphanages of Mangaluru during the Christmas vacations. They are under the able guidance of Rev. Fr John Crasta SJ and the instructor Mr. Harry D’ Souza.
Under the guidance of Mrs. Diana Goveas, Mrs. Shalma Saldanha and Mrs. Jovita D’souza, our students exhibited their dancing talent at Western Dance Dance, Pre-Unique , J.C.I week 2015, Githanjali and the Panambur Beach Festival. Akshay R., Sumith Salian and Samradh are some of our star performers.
A cleanliness drive on the occasion of Swachh Bharath was conducted and information on social health and treatment was imparted. This club is guided by our physical education teachers Mr Praveen Lobo and Mr Noel Menezes.
Achievements in Drawing and painting
First place in district level drawing contest organised by Chakrapani school of arts,
Dr Shivrama Karantha’s portrait competition organized by Kalkura Prathishtana.
Wild life drawing competition organized by Pilikula Nisargadama.
‘SHARE PEACE’ drawing competition conducted by Lions Club, this was the best painting and he has been qualified for the nationals. CPRI (Central Power Resource Institutes) conducted a state level drawing competition. He was awarded the 2nd place. He has received a scholarship in Arts & Crafts from CCRT a central government body.
His melodious singing, Janpadha, Ghazal or Bhavageethe, bags all the district or taluk level in the Prathibha Karanji, Filmy and Devotional singing at Shri Krishna Samarpans cultural festival, tulu sahithya academy and Geethanjali too he has bagged several prizes for his solo singing. ‘Balaprathibha’ awardee from ‘Ragatharanga’. Mangalore idol semi-finalist. First place in the ‘Mand Soban’ konkani singing competition. And in the Prathibha Karanji is selected for state for his Bhavageete singing . He is ‘Magalore Idol’ semi-finalist. He is selected as the President of “Balaprathibhotsava” Ragataranga.
- Manohar our swimming champion U-14
- Is our International participant – Represented India in the Swimming championship 2015-16 at Bangkok, Thailand Organized by 8th AASF
- National medalist in 50 mts breast stroke gold, 100mts breast stroke gold, 50 mts breast stroke Silver ,100mts breast stroke Silver, 200mts breast stroke bronze and 4×100 mts medlay relay gold with a new national record at SFI AT PUNE.
National participant in the
- 42nd junior national aquatic championship SFI at Pune, Maharashtra.
- 69th senior national aquatic championship, Rajkot, Gujarat.
- He has several State medals in gold and silver to his name in 100mts and 200mts breast stroke, 4×100 freestyle relay and 4×100 medlay relay having participated in Karnataka Swimming association, Dolphins aquatic Bangalore, association of Integrated Mysore Swimmer, FINIS sub junior aquatic championships and Karnataka Dept. of public
- He was one of the members of the handball team that played at Haveri and secured a gold and hence he played in departmental national level handball team at U 14 Pune Maharashtra.
2. Nishwin swimmer U-17
Participated in the Presidency interschool, Mangala swimming club Invitational state level, SGFI state level swimming meet he is a gold and silver medalist in 50 mts, 100 mts, 200 mts, breast stroke, butterfly stroke and freestyle and also a gold medalist in 4×100 mts freestyle relay and 4×100 medlay relay.
Rohan D Kumar
- He is the fastest athlete of our school having bagged several gold’s and silvers at the cluster, taluk, district and state Departmental sports well Karnataka amateur athletic association held in Bangalore as well as Srilanka and India dual athletic meet organized by Alvas, Moodabidiri
- At the district level in the 400m event he broke the district record with the timing of 51.4sec, old record was 52.7 sec.
- At the State level athletic meet organized by Alvas Moodabidiri held at Swaraj Maidan, he broke the state record of 51.7sec in the 400 mts event and initiated a new record of 50.5sec.
- He is now selected for the 400 mts nationals to be held at Nasik, Maharashtra during the second week of January. This feat is a feather in his cap.
Nachiketh –U-16 below 45 Kgs.
- The karate kid of our school is our champ in the budokon style.
- He has participated in the State level inter-dojo championship,
- Shorin – Ryu Karate Association, All College Student`s Union Mangalore University and Institute of Karate and Allied Arts,
And has bagged several gold and silver medals.
- In the open Karate National level championship held at Hyderabad he has secured 2 gold’s and 1 bronze medal.
- He has just taken part in the International level Karate championship held at Malaysia from 14 to Dec. 21.
Shravan S Ullal – Is yet another athlete of our school, his specialty being long jump and hurdles.
- He has participated in the state level inter club championship organized by Karnataka amateur athletics association at Bangalore, India and Srilanka dual athletics meet at Moodabidiri, In the cluster level , the taluk level, the district level and at the state level departmental sports .
- He is the winner of the 100 mts hurdles, 4×100 mts relay as well as long jump. He has received several gold and silver medals
- He will be participating in the national level which is to be held at Nasik, Maharashtra in January
- He was also the member of the handball team that played at the divisional level in Mandya.
- 1. Under the Akshara Daasoha scheme all students are eligible for mid-day meals; it is further supplemented with additional items from the mid-day meal fund.
- 2. A new Canteen helps students satisfy their hunger as well as it keeps them within the campus and away from bad influence.
- 3. A remedial teaching has been organized for slow learners after the school hours.
- 4. The teachers and the students of M.A. English of our degree college are carrying out Spoken English class for the Kannada Medium students of 8th and 9th which help them to improve their communication skills
- 5. Mrs. Mamatha Achar, is our counselor, she attends to the children’s needs.
- 6. The school believes that education not only take place in the class room also outside the class hence educational trips were organized.
- A 3-day orientation programme in June was organized for the students of 8th 9th and 10th respectively.
- The staffs were felicitated for rendering 25 years of great service.
3. On September 29th World Heart day was organized by our NCC Air wing.
4. Towards a kinder society – Ramlans Trust launched Children for Charity.
5. A talk on career guidance to the students of 10th was imparted by Mr.V. P. Lobo, chairman of T3 Urban and Rural Development.
6. Mr. B. Sathish Pai, Partner, Bharath Logistics, was the chief guest of the Sports Day for the inaugural ceremony and Ln. Mandakini President of Lions club, Mangalore was the chief guest at the closing. The students got a chance to exhibit their skills in the field of athletics, Mass Drill and March Past.
Parents are the pillar and strength they affirm their support constantly. Mr.Rithesh Baliga, the Vice president of the P.T.A along with the executive members celebrated the Teacher’s Day with games, entertainment and a sumptuous dinner.
They were also instrumental in a one day career guidance program for the students of 10th std and their parents were also guided separately.
I wish to thank our parents, who have monetarily helped us on the Sports and School day and also members of the P.T.A for their constant support and continuous services.
Let me conclude by taking this opportunity to thank all those who have lent me a helping hand in making this year a memorable and a meaningful one. My gratitude goes out to, all those who are present here today to share our joy and to be a part of the ongoing process of education. We are committed towards moulding our students as “people for others” who will grow into young men and women, not only with High Educational Caliber but also as good human persons contributing constructively to the Society.
We look to our patron, St. Aloysius, who stands tall as a supreme example of selfless service and we thank Almighty God for all His gifts, graces and blessings.
Thank you one AND all, God Bless all of us.
MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR -2016