ANNUAL REPORT 2016-2017
Distinguished Chief guest, Mr. Vishal Hegde, Chairman of the Lamina group of companies, Trustee of Nitte education trust, Pro-Chancellor of Nitte University, Alumnus of this Institution, Rev. Fr Dionysius Vaz S.J, Rector, St. Aloysius Institutions, who is presiding over today’s function, well wishers of this Institution, our proud parents, respected members of the teaching and non-teaching fraternity, ladies and gentlemen, media persons and my dear students, I, Gopal Krishna S. , the Headmaster- in- charge in the absence of Rev. Fr. Edward Rodrigues under the direction of the rector Rev. Fr. Dionysius Vas take this privilege to present the 136th Annual report of this historic educational Institution.
With 694 students, the month of June saw the students’ council election for the year 2016–2017 where in, Master Roopith Pronoy D’Souza was elected as SPL, Master Nihal Leon Rego as ASPL and Master Varun as Secretary. These along with the class representatives , form the students’ council. Every week the school assembly is convened to accolade our achievers and to provide a platform for our students in public speaking.
At the April 2016 S.S.L.C. examination 93.47% students came out successful.
The toppers were Master Sohan S. Kotian with 622, 99.52% of the English Medium and Master Muhammed Jouher Ali of Kannada Medium with 600, 96%. At the Diocesan Catechism Examination, Miss Jennifer D’Souza excelled in English Medium. In the Moral Science Examination, while Master Muhammed Jouher Ali topped in the Kannada medium, Master Gagan P. Poojary topped the English Medium.
We appreciate the sincere efforts of the students, the hard work of our teachers and the constant support of the parents.
The new additions this academic year are:-
- Fr Xavier Christopher – takes up English , Scoial Science
- Edna Mascarenhas – takes up Biology
- Gopalkrishna S.: Is on the Maths Text books review committee for the Karnataka State syllabus of 8th, 9th and 10th
- A resource person for Maths at Gokarnath B.Ed College and teachers of Mangaluru city at Canara High School Urwa.
- Mrs Sheryl Prabhu participated in the SSLC question paper workshop held at Bengaluru. A 5 days English enrichment programme at CET Mangaluru under RMSA.
- Norber Miranda has written number of dramas. They have been enacted at the annual day of Govt. primary school, Kelarai and Holy Family Eng. Med. High School, Bajpe
- Mrs Chris Evert D’Souza attended the Scout Master Training program at “Narimogaru Grameena School” Puttur for 12 days.
- John Chandran was a Resource person for D.K. District Art Teacher’s Convention held at Bantwal.
- Shalma Saldanha attended the Eco- Seminar of NGC (National Green Corps) at BRC, Gandhinagar, Mangaluru.
- Mrs Felcy Lobo, Chris Evert D’Souza, Edna Castelino, Linet Mathias, Shalma Saldanha, Jovita D’Souza, Sunitha Pais, Ida Furtado and Sheryl Rodrigues gave a Radio Programme at Akashvani Mangaluru for half an hour on the topic “WOMEN”.
SPORTS & GAMES
Our students not only excel academically, but also on the field. We at St. Aloysius believe in an all round personality development. Along with the fitness of the mind, the fitness of the body is also put to the test. Mr. Praveen Lobo and Mr. Noel Menezes are the guiding force behind the individual and team achievement of our students.
A Dist. Level Departmental Basketball Tournament and Taluk Level Handball Tournament for U-14 Boys/Girls and U-17 Boys/Girls was organized successfully.
Departmental Sports :
Were the team champions at Mangala stadium.
- Joshuan Pereira long jump gold, 4×100 silver, 200 mts bronze.
- Tejas, Alistair, Mohammed Ismail – silver medalists in the 4×100 mts relay.
- Abhin Vincent a bronze medalist in discuss throw.
- The team were the champions at the taluk level.
Joshuan Pereira silver in long jump and in 4×100 mts relay
Tejas, Alistair, Mohammed Ismail were the silver medalists in the 4×100 mts relay
- Aaron Jaison D Almeida shot put gold, discus silver.
- Roopith D Souza silver in 400 mts 100 mts and 4×100 mts relay.
- Nihal H, Anston Rodrigues, Shaaz won the silver in the 4×100 mts relay
- Nishan N 800 mts bronze
Aaron Jaison D Almeida Discus gold.
Roopith D souza silver in 100 mts, 400 and 4×100 mts relay
Shaaz, Anston and Nihal silver in 4×100 mts relay
Snehal, Akashith, Arvin and Anvin Baptist , Aaron Dantis
– winners at the taluk level and participated at the district
- Basket ball
- Vineeth, Renish and Rickson participated at the division level held at Mandya
Shawn Fernandes. Aman Yash, Amith Joyal, Jostol Pinto, Kishan Kumar, Advaith,, Rayston ,Sam D Souza, Chiragh S Dandakeri participate at the division level held at Mandya
Winners of the James Naismith cup organized by Dk District Basketball Association between Udupi and DK
U 14 boys
Shane Sequeira secured the 1st place and Vishal S has secured the 2nd level in Taluk level are the district level participants.
U 17 boys
Manohar Prabhu came third and Nihal Dias came fourth at the taluk level and both have participated at the district level
Prathamesh Nayak, Aman Shetty, Raynor Savio D’sa , Mohd Afthab have been selected for the state probables.
Tushar Bangera, Raveend S and Simon John were part of the DK district cricket team for the division level inter school cricket tournament. Tushar Bangera and Raveend played for the state level.
In the inter school KSCA cup Our school cricket team is qualified for the semi finals
District level winners at Aliyoor, Moodabidri. Our team has participated at the division level at Mandya. The team members being Kirsten Martis, Jostol Pinto, Joris Vas, Rayston Sam, Tushar Bangera, Abhishek
- Table Tennis
District level winners at SVS Bantwal and selected for state to be held at Belgaum in December. Anurag M.H., Ratwik Nayak and Neil Gollerkeri were the players.
- In the Artistic category Sagar Kajagar bagged the 1st place and Sangappa 2nd place in Rhythmic category and both are the District level participants.
Manohar Prabhu and Yashas are our swimming champions.
Other Sports & Games :
U – 14
In the OKINAWA National level Shreyas Rai won two silvers at Haveri
In the SHOTOKANDO Relwin D’Souza won the Silver medal at Goa National level.
- Above 14 Nachiketh S. is a special achiever at the National level
At the SHITORIO state level held at Puttur , Shreyas Rai won 2 gold and a bronze and Nachiketh S, a gold and a bronze
Ankith Shetty and Drushya are in the State Cycling Team with the timings of 23 minutes for 20kms. Participated in the National Selections at Gadag , organized by the Karnataka State Cycling Association.
Mr Camil Rebello meticulously keeps a track of all club events and records the same. He is the co-ordinator of all club.
N.C.C. Air Wing
The N.C.C. Air Wing troop no. 56 : major events of the year, celcebrated Vanamahotsava backed by Canara Bank. A cleanliness drive as an initiative to Swach Bharath Abhiyana was carried out. Cadets were awarded the Best Drill trophy in the Republic Day parade at Nehru Maidan.
In the Annual training camp was held in Alvas Engineering College Moodabidre our troop was awarded the Best Overall Trophy for Kit Layout, Cultural, Cross-Country and Shooting. 3 JW (Junior Wing) Leona D’Souza, Nishel D’Almeida and Jocelyn Miranda were selected for IGC –I , IGC-II and IGC-III. Of these Nishel is selected for the RD Camp. Nishel is an exemplary cadet of Air Wing Troop No. 56 . N.C.C. Officer Mr. Sunil Lobo spear heads the Air-Wing.
Scouting with the motto “Be Prepared”. Pranav of 9th D, Adithya of 8th E, Shashank of 8th E2 and Ruben of 8th D appeared for the Thrithiya Soapan Exam, and now are preparing for the Rajyapuraskar. These are also selected for the National Level Jamboore Rally that will be take place at Mysore in December.
The Scouts have participated in the procession and cycle Jatha for “Sadhabavana Dhinacharane” Organized at Scout Bhavan. Hiking to Karinjeshwar hill at Bantwal on 16th November was a rich experience with nature. They are guided by Sri Gopal Krishna Bhat S. and Mrs. Chris Evert D’Souza.
‘JESUITS’ Science Academy
Amidst experiments, quiz and discussions through the year the students acquire vast knowledge. On the eve of Independence day a science model competition was held. A group of experts of Sahyadri College Of Engineering introduced our students ‘How to prepare a project’. In January 2016, Sarwin Deon Chandran was placed Second in district level ‘Young Scientist Convention’. He participated in the State level Convention held at Shimoga and received Appreciation Certificate and a memento from ‘ISRO Scientist’ Mr. S. K. Shivakumar.
In various Competitions held : Aryan Adhikari and Ethan Roche of 9th std bagged the first place in the Departmental Science Model Competiton and Vikyath Rai and Mohamed Monish bagged the third respectively. Along with the above students Mohammed Abdul Kaif, Sheik Mohammed Sufyaan, Mohammed Thameem, Salman Faris participated in the Science Model competition held at Sahyadri Engineering College and were awarded cash prizes. They are constantly guided by Mr. Donald Saldanha.
‘T.P.KAILASAM’ Dramatic Association
Mr Norbert Miranda brings out dramatic skills in his students. “ARPANE” was enacted on the feast of our patron St Aloysius Gonzaga. On the life of St. Mother Theresa a drama “MHA THAI” was enacted on 15th September 2016, Father Rector & sisters of Mother Theresa Congregation witnessed the same. Mahesh of 9A bagged second place in mimicry competition at Taluk level Prathibha Karanji.
‘SEDIYAPU KRISHNA BHAT’
Kannada Sahitya Sangha
Is Co-ordinated by Mr. Praveen D. Monteiro. A talk on Art by Mr. John Chandran, recital poems by Panje Mangesha Rao , 25 students visited to imbibe culture at Alva’s Nudisiri, Kannada Handwriting Competition and a program on Gandhi Jayanthi was organized.
Organized prayer and worship through Novenas on the eve of St. Aloysius Gonzaga, St. Ignatius of Loyola & the feast of Nativity of our Lady. St. John Berkmans is their role model. His feast was celebrated . Nativity of Mary has been celebrated with the distribution of sugarcane and A Novena book written by Mrs Felcy Lobo was released and the same was sponsored by Mr. Praveen Cutinha, who co-ordinates the club activities. Rev. Fr. Christopher S.J. spiritually guides the students in the absence of Rev. Fr. Edward Rodrigues S.J. our Headmaster.
‘MID TOWN’ Interact Club
With an idea of a Greener tomorrow, Mr. Praveen D. Monteiro and Mr. Praveen Cutinha along with Forest Department celebrated Vanamahotsava together with Eco – Club. They distributed several saplings to a large number of students. A number of potted plants which beautify the white building in the contribution of Mr Praveen Cuthinha.
‘NEHRU’ Philatelic Club
The students are made to understand their coins and stamps better. They have been taught to organize them systematically by Mr. Sheryl Prabhu.
‘ANTONIO’S’ Art Club
Art Club Organized a workshop on water color Painting, Glass Painting and Indian Traditional Painting. An Inter Class Drawing Competition on the feast of St. Aloysius Gonzaga and a collage competition on the eve of Independence Day was organized.
Inter School Competitions
“Love the Nature”, an Inter School Competiton for the Higher Primary was organized along with Eco Club. ‘Laalithya’ an exhibition of Indian Traditional Paintings was held at Prasad Art Gallery on the occasion of Children’s Day, 14 students exhibited their Paintings. In the Drashya Kale competition our Art Team won the 2nd Place at Prathibha Karanji.
- Nishan S and Gauravdev are the special achievers in art.
- Rahul Ramesh won 6th place in the State level drawing competition organized by Central Power Research Institute – Bengaluru.
- Rohan Pinto and Rahul Ramesh were selected for the State level Drawing
Competition organized by Central Ground Water Department, Bengaluru.
The man behind the students is Mr John Chandran.
‘ALOYSIAN’ L.T.S.(Leadership Training Service)
The 87 Aloysian LTS members underwent a one day training program given by Rector Rev.Fr Dionysius vaz and his team. Ankith, Gautham, Nihal Rego, Nihal Dias, Vishnu and Wilson of std. 10th and the animator Mr. Santhosh Lobo participated at the National Conclave held at Kolkata.
‘PANDURANGA PAI’ Eco Club
Vanamahotsava on 8th July was celebrated along with Health club. Mr Praveen Lobo co-ordinator of the health club explained the importance of medicinal plants. District legal service authority and Lions Club Nethravathi made known the importance of planting saplings to inculcate the love for nature. ‘Love nature’ an inter school drawing competition was organized along with Art club.
Avian Frank, Vyasa, Joswin, Rakshith and Harsha Lobo will be presenting a paper on organic farming and medicinal plants in our campus at the Lake 2016 an Ecological Seminar which will be held at Alva’s Education Foundation. It is organized by IIT Bangalore, supported by the Ministry of Environment- Forest and Climate Change, Govt. of India . Mrs. Shalma Saldanha and Mrs. Edna Mascarenhas are the guiding force at the school end.
‘IGNATIAN’ Gavel Club
Gavel club of our school is exclusively meant for improving the communication skills and public speaking ability of the students. They serve as masters of ceremony at every school functions. Besides they have bagged many prizes in various inter school competitions. The guiding force is Mr. Lancy D’Souza
‘GONZAGA’ Consumer Club
Mr. Francis Mascarenhas educates the students on consumer rights and the acts by which they are governed. Videos and scientific experiments on food adulteration were conducted to enhance their knowledge. A quiz & essay writing competition was held in the school too.
‘ETHEL PRABHU’ Quiz Club
Intellectual activities such as debates, extempore, quiz have helped our students to sail successfully through various inter school competitions. As a result of these activities Sarwin Chandran, Dale D’Souza and Alistair D’Souza of Std 10th secured the IInd Place and a cash price of RS. 5000/- in “Battle of Brains” held by Vikas College. Sarwin and Alistair also secured IInd at St.Aloysius PU College Pre-Unique. The brain behind the students is Mrs. Jovita D’Souza.
‘STEVE JOBS’ I.T Club
The club members demonstrated various topics like gaming, social media and I.T. enterprises like apple. 22 students of this club participated in TECHXPO at P.A College of Engineering. Dawson Lobo and Stuart Vas secured 1st place , Jovin D’Souza and Sarwin Chandran bagged 2nd place in animation in the same. These students are motivated by Mrs . Linet Mathias and Mrs. Sunitha Pais.
‘MELODY’ Choir CLUB
The melodious voices of our students with the musical instruments showcase their talents. Mrs. Renny Vas brings out the talents of these 45 students
- Geetanjali patriotic group singing competition :
- Prasad D’Sa and Group – 1st place, Hindi Solo- Anston Rodrigues & Ashwin Subramanya- 2nd place, Rian and Prasad – 3rd
- Western Singing Nihal Dias – 2nd Meghana D’Costa 3rd place
- In instrumental Roopith 1st place, Nihas Dias 2nd
- The school has been awarded the first runner up shield.
- Prasad and group secured the 3rd place in the pre-unique patriotic singing and participated in the Hindi Prachara Sabha, Hindi Saptati program.
- Ashwin and group secured the 1st place at Saroj Madhusudan Kushe Kala Utsav.
‘ST. ALOYSIUS’ College Band
The students learn to be proficient with instruments trained by Mr. J. R. Furtado and guided by Fr. Xavier Christopher S.J. The students exhibit their talent during several festivities in and out of the college.
‘BEATS N STEPS’ Dance Club
This club adds charm, colour, expression, style to every programe in the form of folk,western and contemporary dance is fused by Mr.Vijith Nayak our dynamic choreographer assisted by Mrs.Daina Goveas ,Mrs.Jovita D’souza and Mrs.Edna Mascarenhas.
A Birds eye view of our performance :
Performed at feasts, Inauguration, also in the Mother Theresa – Saint hood celebration drama and Teachers Day.
- Anish Crasta is qualified for the second round – a State Level Dance selection.
- Cleon D’Souza and Dhanush K bagged first and third place repectively in Kala Sangam 2016 held by Nruthyanjali Dance Competition. Cleon and group bagged Second place in the same competition.
- Our school dance group secured 1st place in Pre-Unique 2016. Second place in Prathibha
‘angelo maffai’ KONKANI Club
Mrs. Felcy Pinto tries to bring out the hidden talents of the students through creative writing in Konkani. The members presented programmes in Radio Sarang and in Akashwani Mangaluru. A training programme ‘Kavya Shrushti” – to improve their creative writing in Konkani and Kannada was carried out by Mr. Wilson Kateel and Mr. Mahesh R. Nayak.
‘KAIRANNA’ Health Club
Personal health & hygiene, knowledge of various medicinal plant was imparted to the health Club members. As part of the ‘Swach Bharat Program’ the school campus was cleaned . They were guided by Mr Noel Menezes and Mr Praveen Lobo.
Jostol Pinto & Omkar Bhat – senior grade brown belt holders are trained along with 30 others by Mr. Laxmikanth the Grand Master. Classes are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Guitar & Keyboard
The music teacher Mr. Simon Pais guides our students in the learning of Guitar and Electronic Keyboard every Tuesday and Thursday.
Achievements in Drawing and painting :
- Nishan S of standard 9th won the Kalashree State Award for Art & Craft. The award ceremony was held at Balbhavan, Mysore.
- First place in Collage competiton organized by Canara Engineering College.
- First in Drawing competiton organized by Sanganikethana.
- Second place in TVS Utsav 2016 Drawing Competiton and Madhu Kalotsava. Also won the Drawing Competiton held by Udayavani.
- Bagged first place in the Postal Dept’s National Level Stamp design contest, his drawing will be printed as Children’s Day Commemorative Stamp.
- He receives a scholarship of Rs. 11,000/- in Arts & Crafts from CCRT annually , a central government body.
- He topped the painting and drawing competition held by –
‘The Hindu’ Young World , India Posts, Wildlife Weeks at Pilikula , Udayavani , Madhu Kushe Kalotsava, Big Bazaar’s Chota Champ, Kalkura Prathistaana , Happy Hearts by Lions Club, Iskon .
NISHEL FLORA D’ALMEIDA:-
- Successfully completed Pre – R.D.C -1 (Republic Day selection Camp).
- Won gold as Best Cadet of Karnataka and Goa Junior Wing in the Inter Group competition at Mysore.
- Won two silver medals in national level Open Karate tournament in Kata and Kumite events held at Udupi.
JW cadet Nishel D’Almeida is selected for pre RDC – 2 which is being held at Airforce Station Bangaluru. After 30 days of training cadets will be selected for Republic Day camp which will be held at Delhi on 26th January 2017.
Manohar our swimming champion U-17
- Is qualified for the International World Swimming Championship.
- In National level 2 silver , 1 bronze held at Kolkatta
- State level 3 gold medal, 50mts Breast stroke, 100 mts breast stroke, 200 mts breast stroke.
- Swimming Federation of India State level held at Rajkot, Gujrat, won Silver Medal in 50mts Breast Stroke.
- In the state level organized by Karnataka Swimming Association bagged 1 gold and 1 silver.
- In Chess 3rd place in Taluk Level.
- He was the captain of the handball team of our school.
Nachiketh S. (Karate)
- In the OKINAWA National level, Nachiketh secured two golds at Haveri , BUDOKON National level 2 silver and 1 gold held at Hyderabad
Yashas: Our swimming champion U-14
Gold medalist at the District in the Departmental Sports.
Silver medal in – 50 mts butterfly, 50 mts backstroke, 4×100 mts freestyle relay, 4×100 mts medlay relay at the state held at Bengaluru.
Participated at the National level – 50 mts butterfly, 50 mts backstroke Rajkot, Gujrat
- A remedial teaching is being organized for slow learners after the school hours for std. 8th , 9th and 10th.
- The teachers of our school and the students of M.A. English, through the kind support of Lourdsamy and Br. Anush of our degree college are carrying out Spoken English classes for the Kannada Medium students of 8th and 9th which help them to improve their communication skills. This is organized by Mrs. Sheryl Prabhu.
- Mamatha Achar, is our counselor, she attends to the children’s Psychological needs.
- Educational trips for std. 10th are organized for the students to know and have a better understanding of the world outside the class.
- To enhance the visual knowledge of the students one television of 52” was sponsored by Gavin Mathias of SYSKA LED Distributors an Alumnus of the school.
- Learning by doing is the belief we go by. To enhance this a well equipped new science lab with gallery class was constructed. It was a dream come true of the past Rector Rev. Fr. Denzil Lobo S.J.
- Through the kind support of our parents the Hall Stage renovation was taken up. And the students have a beautiful stage to perform on.
- The Audio-Visual room got a face lift through the kindness of our parents. Acoustics, seating, audio, visual, were the aspects taken into consideration.
- A 3- day orientation programme by Fr. Antony S.J. and his team through games and talks was carried out in the month of June for the students of 8th 9th and 10th respectively.
- In the month of August to commemorate Independence Day, to inculcate the feeling of Patriotism ‘TIRANGA’ an Inter-school competition was conducted. 23 schools participated in various competitions: Collage, Quiz, Dance, Singing and Rangoli. Several Clubs, along with their members participated actively.
- The management felt ‘All work and no play makes Jack a dull Boy’ with this thought in mind the staff set out to Cochin and Munnar on a 3 day tour to lighten their hearts and mind. This not only relaxed them in their tight academic schedule but also brought them close together.
- Children are a source of great joy to all. It was time to make them happy and hence the staff decided to celebrate children’s day with a stage programme wherein the staff members danced, sang, put up a skit to entertain the children. A cricket match with the staff and students was organized.
- Pradeep D’Souza, Deputy Director, youth Empowerment & Sports Department, D.K. Mangaluru, was the chief guest on the Sports Day for the inaugural ceremony and Mr. Akash B. Rao, Advocate, Mangaluru was the chief guest at the closing ceremony. Both were Alumnus of our school. The students exhibited their skills in athletics, Mass Drill and March Past.
Parents, the pillar and strength of our institution affirm their support constantly. Mr.Rithesh Baliga, the Vice president of the P.T.A along with the executive members celebrated Teacher’s Day with games, entertainment and a sumptuous dinner.
I wish to thank our parents, for their presence and constant support on Sports day and School day
Let me conclude by taking this opportunity to thank all those who have lent me a helping hand in making this year a memorable and a meaningful one. My gratitude goes out to, all those who are present here today to share our joy and to be a part of the ongoing process of education. We are committed towards moulding our students as “people for others” who will grow into young men and women, not only with High Educational Caliber but also as good human persons contributing constructively to the Society.
We look to our patron, St. Aloysius, who stands tall as a supreme example of selfless service and we thank Almighty God for all His gifts, graces and blessings.
Thank you one AND all, God Bless all of us.
MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR -2017